Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mr grandfather in World War II

Here are some pictures of my grandfather in World War 2. He was German and had to fight for his country, but he wasn't a Nazi because his father was dismissed from the police by the Nazis when he was a captain in 1933 because he was against the Nazis.

This is picture is from 1939 of my grandfather on the right and his cousin Johann who joined the SS and died in the war. My grandfather was 16 when this photo was taken.


This is a picture of my grandfather just after he was called up to the German army in 1942.



Here my grandfather is in training in 1942.



In 1943 he was awarded the Iron Cross for fighting in Leningrad. He was promoted to Lieutnant



This picture was taken during the Battle of Stalingrad. My grandfather was on one of the last German planes out of Stalingrad because he was wounded before the Russians won the battle.



This is a cemetery where dead Wehrmacht soldiers were buried.



My grandfather at home during a holiday in 1944.



My grandfather and some other soldiers drink beer in the field. My grandfather is on the right.



My grandfather on the horse he had when he was stationed in Denmark.


My grandfather and some officers in Denmark



The barracks in Metz where my grandfather was posted after Denmark. After the war he was a prisoner of war of the British before he could go home.



No comments: