Sunday, June 3, 2007

History time


I just want to tell you about my Grandfather. He was in the German army in World War II. He fought in the famous battles of Stalingrad and Leningrad (Russia), Denmark, and he also fought in France. He was a Lieutenant and was awarded the Iron Cross for bravery in battle. He was on one of the last few planes out of Stalingrad, otherwise he would have died or be prisoner of war of the Russians, like his brother who died in captivity.

One lowlight is that his cousin was part of the SS (Nazis), but he didn’t like the Nazis because they fired his father from the police force (where he was a captain) in March 1933. My grandfather actually survived the War and was a Prisoner of War. But in 1977 he died of internal bleeding.

My great-grandfather fought in World War 1. He fought in the famous battle of Verdun. In 1932 he wrote his memoirs, and my father translated them into English. They are on the Internet: HERE. Check it out.

No comments: